Saturday, June 15, 2019 Last Updated 6 Min 33 Sec ago Malayalam Edition
Todays E paper
Ads by Google
Saturday 15 Jun 2019 02.25 PM

Iran denies US' allegation after attacks on Gulf tankers

Iran, US, Gulf tankers

Tehran : Iran on Friday denounced the allegations by the United States that Tehran was responsible for the attacks on tankers near the Strait of Hormuz. Iran Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif said that the US jumped to the allegations "without circumstantial evident".

"The US had immediately jumped to make allegations against Iran without a shred of factual or circumstantial evidence," Al Jazeera quoted Zarif as saying. On Thursday two oil tankers-- Marshall Islands-flagged Front Altair and the Panama-flagged Kokuka Courageous-- were attacked in the Gulf of Oman, raising tensions in the region.

This comes a month after four tankers including two of Saudi Arabia were attacked. Saudi Arabia had said that some "state actor" was involved in the attack on May 12. Blaming Iran for the attack, US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said, "The attack on two oil tankers on June 13 was one in a list of Iranian and Iranian-backed attacks over the last month. It was a clear threat to peace, security and freedom of navigation." ANI

Ads by Google
Ads by Google
Ads by Google